Thursday, May 2, 2013

When the hell did this happen?

Apparently e-book retailer BooksOnBoard is closed for "restructuring."

A fellow author directed me to this Publishers Weekly article, "Indie E-Book Retailer Books On Board Halts E-book Sales" http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/digital/retailing/article/56715-indie-e-book-retailer-books-on-board-halts-e-book-sales.html and I was all like "say whaaaaat?" because that's how I talk in my head.

The article is dated April 8, 2013, so I'm late to the parade once again, but I was really surprised I hadn't heard about this closure.  And I say "closure" (even though the BooksOnBoard website says they hope to be up and running again soon) because there's a pizza parlour on my street that's been "closed for renovations" for almost two years now.  When I see "check back soon" signs, I tend to think it's goodbye forever.  Maybe that's just me.

Anyhoo, when you visit https://www.booksonboard.com now, here's what you get:

Please sign in on the login page to download books you have purchased. BooksOnBoard has temporarily stopped selling books. We are re-structuring to compete more effectively against Goliaths who have entered our marketplace since we first launched in 2006, i.e., Amazon, Apple, Google, Sony and Barnes & Noble.
We expect to be back with our new business model soon. Meanwhile, customers can continue to download their prior purchases as long as the publisher and their distributors continue to make them available – same as always and out of our control. As in the past, it's always wise to download your eBooks as soon as possible after purchase.

Thank you for your support of our store over the last seven years during which we have pioneered many innovations with our customers, including the first eBooks for sale on the iPhone. We look forward to serving you again with an exciting new approach soon.

The BooksOnBoard team


This industry, yo.  Can't count on anything.

Well, that's not true.  You can count on me.

Awwww..... *smile*

Hugs,
Giselle

No comments:

Post a Comment